Monday, February 6, 2017

Letter #29 -Service Galore

February 6, 2017








Dear Family and Friends,

One of the cool things about this area is all the service
opportunities here. I've gotten to spread mulch on park trails at this
place called River Legacy. I'm not entirely sure what kind of place it
is, so you'll have to look it up. It's kind of a museum and also a
place that could be used to get a lot of merit badges probably. I've
also gotten to work at a food pantry stacking boxes and unloading
trucks. We worked at a food drive and passed out food to people. I
passed out the frozen blueberries and got to work alongside a really
sweet old lady who was passing out frozen orange juice concentrate. We
had a great time. I also got to serve at a resale shop. We get to help
people bring in their donations and then we sort through it and see
what is sellable and what we pass on to other charities. It's really
fun to see all the stuff that comes through. Volunteers also get a 30%
discount on everything in the store. Apparently it's almost impossible
for a missionary to leave the area with the same amount of clothes
they came with, haha. A lot of the service involves a lot of manual
labor though, so it gives us a chance to use the little muscles we
build during our workouts. And we sleep well :)

The tracting situation is a little different here than in my last
area, so my companion and I have focused on encouraging and teaching
the members how to do missionary work. There were several good talks
during the last General conference that we use. The best ones were by
Elder Oaks and Elder Andersen. We did manage to pick up some new
investigators this week though and a few people showed up to church
that we didn't expect. Well, that's all for this week. I'll probably
be sending shorter e-mails in Arlington because I have to type my
e-mails on the iPad in this incredibly clean laundromat.

Love, Sister Prue

No comments:

Post a Comment