Monday, January 2, 2017

Letter #24 - Happy New Year!

January 2, 2017



Dear Friends and Family,

The beginning of a new year gives us all the opportunity to reflect on the events of the past year and to think of changes that we want to make for the following year.  This past year consisted of preparations for going on my mission and then my actual mission. I entered the MTC July 20th and am still serving in my first area. I am grateful for this opportunity and privilege to serve. Many of the experiences that I have had here have led me to believe that one of the purposes God had in calling me on a mission was that I might more fully learn to use the Atonement of his son, Jesus Christ.   
One of my resolutions is to memorize scriptures throughout the year, which is something that I am terrible at and struggle greatly with. I have also chosen a scripture to focus on throughout this year which is Proverbs 3:5-6. I have enjoyed my study of this scripture so far and will send pictures later this month to show how. 

Life in the barn is fun this time of year. There were seven baby horses to be born in the next couple of months. One was born earlier this week, but we found out today that he died several hours after his birth. We did happen to see him before he died though, as we have a window in our kitchen that looks over an area where the horses sometimes stay. I had named him Eggnog because he was pure white. 

This week I had the opportunity to go to the Dallas temple for the first time. We didn't have time to look around the grounds or see very much, but it was nice to go. It was my fifth time going to the temple and my third temple. We had a wonderful lesson in Relief Society this past week that reminded us of all the beautiful blessings that we receive from regular attendance at the temple. If you haven't gone for awhile, or do not attend regularly, or have never been that could be a New Years resolution that you make ;)

Another fun thing is that our car is in the shop for some repairs. In the meantime we get to drive a brand new car that the mission just purchased. It is a 2017 Chevy Malibu and had less than 300 miles on it when it was handed over to me. It is its own wifi hotspot, so that has been nice to have as a missionary. Unfortunately we probably only have it for another day or two and then it will be handed over to another companionship that needs a new car. It has been fun to drive though :) 

On New Years Eve, the family that was feeding us took us to a Chinese Buffet, and that was the extent of our New Years celebration. We went to bed at 10:30 as usual, and honestly it feels like the day never happened. One thing the bishop has asked us to do this week is to help all the members/families in the ward update their family/personal mission plan for the upcoming year, so that should take a good chunk of our time for the next couple of months or so. 

Well, I hope you all are happy and healthy and safe and enjoying the last of your holiday breaks. 

Love, Sister Prue 

No comments:

Post a Comment