Monday, August 29, 2016

Letter #6 - Blue Skies

August 29, 2016




Dear Family and Friends, 

One of the things I've enjoyed on my mission so far is the service that we do at the local soup kitchen. We've worked on mailings, distributed food, and been on dish duty. Mostly we're on dish duty, but it's actually pretty fun, so I enjoy doing that. They have this automatic industrial dish washer that fascinates me, and my companion and I are usually on the dish drying side of things aka we get the easy part, haha. I also like working on mailings because...mail. I love mail. People would probably consider it junk mail though, so that's not as fun for them. We're supposed to be doing 10 hours of service a week, and an ideal week would get us 6 hours of service at the soup kitchen, but we haven't had an ideal week yet. A lot of times a meeting will fall on at least one of our scheduled times there. 

Our last P-Day was fun. We got to explore downtown Denton a little bit. My companion needed to get her hair cut, and one of the members in another ward was nice enough to cut it herself at a salon down there where she works. We then went to an ice cream shop nearby and the girl said the ice cream was on her! The people here are so good to us. One of the members caters BBQ and so having dinner at his house was amazing. He then sent us home with all the leftovers! Also, Pokemon Go is alive and well here and all the shops downtown try to encourage trainers to stop at their business. I've been having fun taking pictures of all Pokemon related advertisements. Pictures to come. 

This week was also the first time that I had the chance to go on companion exchanges with the STLs (Sister Training Leaders). It was fun because I got to go to the other area and see a new part of Texas. I think the city was called Trophy House. I had a lot of fun running around with Sister McCann. She had only been in the area for a couple of weeks so she was as new to her area and I was to mine. I'm glad it was her and not me, haha. Apparently they often have the greenie take a STL around their area. 

The weather continues to be very nice and stays in high 80s to 90s. I'm thrilled about that. I also found out that our mission currently has 198 missionaries. I also had my first Zone Conference and it was good to hear from the mission president. I'm still getting to know the missionaries here - there isn't a lot of time to meet and get to know them. I'll have my second district meeting this week and that's where I'm finding we have the most chance to get to know each other. I am however, getting to know the members better and better and that has been fun. We have a great ward. 

Love, Sister Prue

No comments:

Post a Comment