Monday, April 3, 2017

Letter #36 - Enduring Well

April 3, 2017


Dear Friends and Family,

In my last e-mail, I mentioned that Heavenly Father has blessed me with an abundance of divine help and I would like to share some of the things I have learned and the experiences I have had. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that we were blessed to be able to hear from an apostle of the Lord. In Doctrine and Covenants 1:38, we read: "38 What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same." I have received many answers to prayers through the guidance of the Lord's servants, especially from his prophet and apostles. When Elder Rasband came to speak to us, he counseled us not to complain about our areas or companions, but to ask the Lord what we should be learning from each respective area or companion. As I have gone through the weeks I have followed this pattern of asking the Lord what it is I should be learning from my experiences. Understanding things that I can learn from my trials has helped give them purpose and has at times made it easier to endure well through them. I came to realize that one hardship I am going through is so that I may better learn to control my thoughts. We are taught in the Book of Mormon in Mosiah 4:30 :

"But this much I can tell you, that if ye do not watch yourselves, and your thoughts, and your words, and your deeds, and observe the commandments of God, and continue in the faith of what ye have heard concerning the coming of our Lord, even unto the end of your lives, ye must perish. And now, O man, remember, and perish not."

I have been able to practice maintaining a focus on Christ and not those things that worry or distress me. I have done this by using my free time in the morning and at night to study the blessings promised me in my patriarchal blessing and to once again memorize the document The Living Christ. Many years ago, I along with the young women in my ward, we were challenged to memorize this document. Upon completion we were given a beautiful copy of Jesus the Christ. As I reflected on this experience, I decided to once again work on memorizing this inspired document. When my thoughts wander away from the purpose to which I am called, I start reciting it in my mind, and it helps me stay focused. In his talk, "Bear Up Their Burdens With Ease", Elder Bednar teaches that the trials we go through are opportunities for spiritual growth.

"The unique burdens in each of our lives help us to rely upon the merits, mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah (see 2 Nephi 2:8). I testify and promise the Savior will help us to bear up our burdens with ease (see Mosiah 24:15). As we are yoked with Him through sacred covenants and receive the enabling power of His Atonement in our lives, we increasingly will seek to understand and live according to His will. We also will pray for the strength to learn from, change, or accept our circumstances rather than praying relentlessly for God to change our circumstances according to our will. We will become agents who act rather than objects that are acted upon (see 2 Nephi 2:14). We will be blessed with spiritual traction."

I have found this to be true in my own life.

I love you all and hope you enjoyed General Conference! The counsel from these leaders is truly inspiration from God.

Love, Sister Prue

No comments:

Post a Comment